Friday, February 26, 2010

Rockn Roll never looked so filthy....

When reviewing a show at a venue, I normally have my composition book at hand.  Trust me, not matter how big or small my bag is, the notebook is in there with my personal notes on local bands.  It is either a book you want to read or stay away from.  Sometimes it may not make a spit of sense to you.  However, the better the show the harder it is for me to read it.  (Drunken Scribbles make an amazing day worth writing and reading last night show review)   Sometimes due to the scribbling on my journal it takes me days up to weeks to Decipher what was written.  Take this last 94.9 free show.  That was almost a month ago.  I just was able to really figure out my notes. (Well scribbles and writers block kind of makes this a little hard!)

The night started off on the right note.  The line-up:  Nautical Disaster, Boyscout, Heavy Glow (cd release party) and (the return of:) Firethorn.  First off I will have to say that coming into any place and introducing myself to just the bandmates freaks me out.  I don't like to go up to people unless I know them.  Kind of strange right?  However this night was full of surprises.  Met Berkeley from Nautical Disaster and was fun talking to him about music same as meeting Chris from Firethorn.

Nautical Disaster went on first.  They did a rockin job with great guitar riffs and powerful bass.  It was almost punkn' roll.  I have always liked Nautical Disaster.  They are always a pick of the weekend for me.  It would be nice if the guitarist (Berkeley) was not so far off in the corner.  More stage presence from him would be great.  They were sans a harmonica player but still sounded just as tight.  Make sure to pick up their album or catch them on their next show.

Boyscout was next.  Who could not love Boyscout?  I know I can!  Jason Cardenas from Transfer on wailing guitar.  This instrumental foursome of rockn rollers know how to get the audience moving. It seems as though two is the magic number for this band.  Two guitarist and Two drummers.  Normally that would be way to much for me.  However, who would have thought that they would be so enjoyable and fun to watch?  This isn't your normal no vocal instrumental band where they are just ambiance.
 
By this time it seems that Casbah is packed.  Now its time for Heavy Glow.  During their set.  There were a lot of hot mics.  For it being their cd release party I would declare it a not good set.  High energy? Yes!  Good music?  Yes!  Tech problems? Yes!  Over all did they give it their best?  OF COURSE!  Awesome time watching it.  However, hot mics kill it for me all the time!

Last but not least FIRETHORN!  After leadsinger Chris moved back to the east coast a few years back but still comes to San Diego to play a few shows here and there.  They are of the Punk Rock genre which is very awesome since I was mainly a punk rock kid in LA before moving to San Diego for my better years of punk rock and rockn roll.  By the end of the early night most of the people that were here mainly for Boyscout has left. But you were a fool to have left and not checked out Firethorn.  By the end of the set, Chris belted out "Demasiado has broken up and this is for them!"  Firethorn covered a song by Demasiado.  Now the set was over and it was only Midnight.  Oh whats a girl like me to do on an early Sunday night? GO home and recap this show!


recap: check out all the bands!  and yes Demasiado broke up!  (don't worry I cried as well!)

No comments: