Friday, August 7, 2009

Music Things?

Last year it NPMT was called NxNP. Due to the similarities to SxSW the name had to be changed. What is NPMT you ask. It is a full weekend event that started at the Casbah and ended at The Casbah. It is 3 days of music, 2 days of conference where you get to learn about the music business through panel discussions , and a morning trade show. The money made during the NPMT benefits the San Diego Music Foundation.

I only did two and a half days. Started off with the kick off show at Casbah last night with Thin Man and Midnight Rivals. Which was an absolutely fabulous show thanks to Thin Man and the San Diego Super band that is Midnight Rivals. Followed by a late show of Static Static, Gram Rabbit, and Quintron and Miss Pussycat.

Waking up early in the morning on Saturday to make it towards Lafayette Hotel. The "trade show" (it was really more like 5 booths) was very informal. Taylor guitars, City beat, Piratepods.com, Ego ID Media, IAmHype.com and a few more. The first panel I went to was "Publicity and Promotion: Creating The Buzz " with panelist: Seth Combs, Amanda Kagen, Albert Ching and Wendy Bryford-Jones. This q & a's were good, if you were in a band that didn't know how to self promote. Combs kept cracking jokes here and there to keep us from killing ourselves with boredom. Like I said, the panels are for bands and people who are interested in getting into the music business who do not know what their doing. Maybe some promoters around town should have gone to this. I did see a good amount of people from bands members, promoters, writers and so on and so forth.

Following the last panel I walked into "The Big Gig: Playing Live." The panelist included Tim Mays, Andrew McKeag and Rob Hagey. I went in thinking I was going to learn something about booking shows. I've worked as a promoter so I knew a good amount for booking shows. However, if people would go to websites and check out FAQ; I am pretty sure the questions asked would have been more thought out thoroughly.

After going to about 2 more panels, I realized i didnt have to be there. The panelist were either bullshiting their answers for lack of preparation or not giving a logical response that might help the people asking the questions. I left after the "Indie Label Music" panel.

If you think the panels where a headache. Do not forget about the 200 acts in 20 stages. That alone was something to be stressed about. Best suggestion is to either find one bar and camp out there the whole night or run around like a chicken with your heads cut off trying to make it to see every band on your agenda. I did something better. I avoided the night. Instead Tower Bar was having their own music thing with Beaters (a NPMT artist) and Thin Man. You know where I was that night. Main reason the 2oo acts around NP didnt tickle my fancy was the fact that the majority of those bands where playing with in days of NPMT for either free of 5 bucks. I saw about 10 of those artist with in that week. Trust me I don't want to see 200 acts in less than 6 hours.

I learned my lesson last year when walking all over NP drinking and smoking and show after show after show. A headache to be avoided.

Sunday again back to the panels. This time I skipped it. Went to the Musicfest out doors. Checked out some bands. Then realized again. In three months im going to see EL Vez. Night Marchers are playing the Casbah soon. I understand this was an all ages event, however the majority of the people there were obviously over 21. Most people wondered into Livewire for drinks and shade. While there I was able to talk to the guys from Mr Tube and the Flying Objects, Scott Mercado, Steve Rodriguez from The Dragons and many more. It seemed as though Livewire was the Green Room for all the bands to relax after a long day in the sun.

A few beers deep and away I went. If this night was going to continue; a quick nap was in the works. Following the nap. I went towards downtown for their Cityfest. Saw a few bands then quickly went to Casbah for the end to a semi perfect weekend. Lights On, Apes of Wrath and The Growlers. All great bands, expect to see a few posting of these bands.

After the Growlers played it was the end of a very long weekend.

So a quick RECAP - NPMT - great idea; money goes into a great cause, however the panels need to be more thought out. The questions should be filtered or only go if you really do not know about the music industry.
NPMT Showcase - That should be spread out between the entire week prior to the big outdoor music festival.

City Heights Music Thing - FOR THE WIN! it was fun!

No comments: